o you love that Hollywood Regency look? Have you always wondered how decorators achieve it? Here is a room we designed at Madison Modern Home that illustrates some of the basic themes of Hollywood Regency style.
Start with a large modern, simple piece of furniture. In the case of a bedroom, the main focal point is always the bed. If the bed has clean modern lines, it leaves you some latitude to have fun with color and shapes throughout the room.
- Add transitional pieces like the end tables. These tables are transitional because they “transition” from modern to traditional. They’re simple, but the B&W color scheme gives them a dash of traditional style.
- Throw in a bold dramatic pattern like the B&W damask curtains. Classic Hollywood Regency style plays off high contrast. Here we’ve used B&W throughout the room, plus one bold color — yellow.
- Add in traditional touches like the paneled pillow, bedding, accessories and the black side chair.
- Add a big splash of bright, modern color — the lamps, in this case, which are modern in shape and bright in color.
- Fill out the room with soft neutrals — like the beige and taupe bedding — to “marry” the bolder, high contrast pieces together.